Are you trying to sell your house in Nebraska but don’t know how long it will take, when to start, or the first steps? Don’t worry — you are not alone. There are dozens of homeowners who are struggling to find out the right time to sell their house to get the most profit.
Fortunately for you, we have done the research ahead of time to let you know when to sell a new home to get the most bang for your buck.
Understanding how long it takes to sell a home, listing and selling a house, and the Nebraska real estate market is imperative to getting a great deal on your beloved home.
Average Time to Sell a House
Knowing the average time to sell a house in Nebraska depends on various factors, such as the local market, listed sale price, number of potential buyers, home inspection analysis, home value, and other data.
The average time to sell a house in the United States in 2023 is approximately 54 days on the market.
This average number has increased since the previous year but has declined since the beginning of 2023, indicating that the market is getting more competitive and is becoming more of a seller’s market.
Knowing the average days on the market for a house in the United States and a home in Nebraska gives homeowners an idea of the market conditions of the specific area.
The time frame of how long it takes to sell a house can depend on the closing, number of offers, homebuyers, and market shift.
Some factors that have increased the time it takes to sell a house since 2022 include higher mortgage rates and seasonality.
Homes always go faster at certain times of the year than others. In addition, mortgage rates have risen dramatically since 2022, reducing the number of homebuyers who can afford a house or pay their mortgage lenders.
Average Time to Sell a House in Nebraska
The average time to sell a house in Nebraska is 80 days. This number can fluctuate based on the location, market conditions, seasonality, number of homebuyers, realtor used, job market, and property condition.
What about the best and worst time to sell a house?
The best time of year to sell a house in Nebraska is May, with homes on the market for just 34 days. This time frame is approximately 17 days faster than the yearly average.
However, homeowners should be aware that the best time to sell a house in Nebraska depends on the location and the type of home.
For example, the best time to sell a house in Douglas County is in January, when the home sells in around 30 days. In Hall County, a home will sell in just 15 days in October.
For those looking to get the most money for their home sale, the best time to sell a house is in August, with the sales premium reaching $38.5K.
Home sellers should avoid selling a house in January, February, September, October, November, or December to avoid losing money. Homes sold during these months range from losing approximately $79 to $16,318 per sale.
Looking to relocate? We buy houses Hickman residents love to get a great deal on their property.
Can You Speed Up the House Selling Process?
There are a few ways in which homeowners can speed up the home-selling process to reduce the number of days on the market:
- Competitive pricing — One of the main tips for selling your house is analyzing the current market conditions and trends. Ensure you price your house competitively to avoid underselling your house or over-listing your home. Setting home prices that are too high can reduce the number of prospective buyers. Listing too high excludes a high number of buyers who are looking within a specific range.
- Know when to sell — Knowing the right time to list and sell your house can help you sell faster. Understanding the best months, such as May, can help you receive the most offers for your property.
- Upgrade your home — Don’t do any necessary home repairs or renovations, but fixing up broken areas and high-end items can help you add value to your house.
- Marketing — Use a professional real estate agent to help market your house in the best way possible. Take professional photos, stage your house, and list the property on online buying sites.
- Negotiate — Lastly, a realtor can help you negotiate the best deal for your home based on your property type, condition, and location.
How To Sell a House Quickly in Nebraska
There are a few steps to sell your house quickly in Nebraska:
- Be flexible — Be ready and flexible during the house-selling process. You might receive a call sooner than expected or have to negotiate with a prospective buyer ASAP.
- Don’t ignore offers — Even though an offer may be well below your asking price, ensure you don’t ignore them. Even a lowball offer could eventually turn into the asking price if you treat it correctly. A lowball offer can become a cash buyer if you are good at negotiating!
- Do repairs — Doing necessary repairs and fixes can help increase the value of your home and boost the property’s aesthetic value, which can lead to big pay-offs during open houses.
- Choose the right real estate agent — Selecting the right real estate agent can help you market your house correctly.
- Feng Shui your home — Along with doing repairs, performing some much-needed TLC on your home can help you save money and make it look more presentable. We recommend doing minor paint jobs, decluttering your house, fixing broken appliances, and installing new entryway lighting fixtures. These small DIY fixes can lead to a big payoff!
Tips for Selling a House Fast in Nebraska
Not sure how to sell your house fast? Use these house selling tips to list your house and sell it as soon as possible!
Reduce the Clutter
Use professional housekeeping services and declutter your home to make it look presentable and aesthetically pleasing. You want your home to look new and modern, ensuring that buyers can see themselves living there in the future. Instead of hiding your items, rent a storage unit to move personal knick-knacks out of the house.
Perform Home Improvements
Although you may not want to spend thousands of dollars before listing your house for sale, performing necessary home improvements and repairs can help you get more money on the listing price.
We recommend doing some DIY fixes on your own if you feel confident. Some items you can do on your own include repairing broken doors, repairing chipped paint, replacing flooring, replacing old lighting fixtures, replacing electrical wiring, and replacing burnt-out bulbs.
Stage Your Home
Use a professional real estate agent to help stage your house. They can take photos, list the property online, and stage the home so buyers can see themselves living there.
You can even use a professional photographer to capture the essence of the home and make the property look more appealing! Staging your house can lead to $10K or more in a higher listing price than if you use non-professional photos, furniture, and decor.
Fix the Exterior
Fixing the exterior of your home does a lot more than you may think. By washing the outside of your house, repairing cracks work, fixing fencing, cleaning the home, and tending to the gardens, you can increase the curb appeal of your home.
We recommend doing some work on your own, such as cleaning and pressure washing all surfaces, to save money.
Use the Right Real Estate Agent
Don’t just choose an agent or one that has the lowest price. Make sure you do research on your real estate agent ahead of time to figure out which professional has experience in the industry and a great track record.
Ask them certain questions, such as their average sale time, examples of past successes, and personalized strategies, to see if they are a good fit for you.
Choose the Right Season To List Your Home
As we know by now, the spring is the best time to sell a house in Nebraska. We recommend selling your home in April, May, or June to get a quick sale for the most money. Spring usually has more properties, meaning that you will have more buyers viewing your property.
Understanding the amount of time it takes to sell a home in Nebraska is key to planning.
Homeowners must know the market value of their property before they can expect to get bites on their home listing on Zillow.
Doing research ahead of time, such as setting a median sales price, can help owners get a great cash offer for their property.