Exciting nightlife, unique experiences, and top-notch cuisine? You don’t need to live on one of the coasts to have a great time. Tucked right next to Iowa is a (surprisingly) cool vibe. That’s right. We’re talking about Nebraska.
While you may think of this trusty agricultural state as a flyover country, the vibe in Nebraska is both unexpected and charming. And this isn’t coming from a farming enthusiast. At the heart of this state is Lincoln, a hidden gem and a great option for those looking to make a new city their home.
You don’t have to move to New York or California, where housing prices continue to skyrocket. You can have all the fun of coastal living for a fraction of the price in Lincoln.
Is Lincoln a Cool Place to Live?
Named for President Abraham Lincoln, the capital city is home to over 300,000 people, covering nearly 100 square miles. Its diversity, however, gives it the feel of a much larger city. You get all the safety and kindness of the Midwest with a healthy dose of entertainment to boot. Additionally, it’s only an hour’s drive from Omaha, the largest city in NE.
Still not convinced? Lincoln is consistently rated one of the best places to live in the United States. It also has a high quality of life and a low cost of living. If you’re curious about the average cost of living in NE, look no further to find out just what it costs to live here.
Lincoln is also home to the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, a school that offers an amazing spectrum of programs, from biotechnology to award-winning creative writing programs. This college town is home to the Cornhuskers, which 100% wins the college mascot contest.
Education and nature are great, but what about the nightlife? Lincoln’s got you covered. Whether you’re looking for a place to dance the night away or simply chill out and enjoy a more casual vibe, there’s a spot for you.
Is dancing not your scene? People who love to eat their way through the city will find both high-class dining options and local classics. Be sure to try a runza, the unofficial state food of Nebraska. You won’t be disappointed. With an array of trendy bars and unique coffee shops, you’ll be sure to find your new favorite place in the Lincoln area. And we’re here to tell you that you’ll have more than one.
What’s the Lincoln Vibe
You might still be asking: sure it might be a nice family-friendly town, but is it cool? You might not have heard of Lincoln as a hotspot for the hip and happening crowds, but this city is definitely, 100% genuinely awesome. With its bustling nightclubs, quirky bars, and trendy coffee shops, there’s a reason people love living here.
Even with Lincoln’s small-town feel, it is a surprising cultural hub of diversity. It is impossible to be bored in such a big city since there’s something for everyone. It’s the perfect place for singles, couples, growing families, and more. It has everything from aquatic centers and indoor playgrounds to quilting museums and art galleries.
If you’re looking to move to Nebraska permanently, we buy homes in Nebraska is an excellent resource to help you through the home buying experience. There are also several companies that buy houses in Papillion if you’re hoping to move closer to Nebraska’s capital. Alternatively, if you’re moving away from Lincoln, buy my house in Lincoln can help you find your next dream home.
Maybe though, you’re just looking to visit this amazing city. If so, there are several things you must do in Nebraska. To help you out, we’ve curated lists of some of the best places to check out and get you started on your path to becoming a Husker.
Trendy Bars in Lincoln
Beer aficionados will delight in the vast array of Lincoln breweries and cool downtown pubs. From modern industrial vibes to classic vintage atmospheres, there’s a local drinking hole for every style.
Lincoln is home to several trendy bars perfect for a night out on the town with friends or a romantic date night. Here are some of our favorites:
- The Zoo Bar: This bar is a must for any Lincoln resident. This iconic and trendy bar is located in downtown Lincoln. Stop in for live music and rich history.
- Barrymore’s: This theater-turned cocktail bar with an amazing atmosphere and a ton of live music events.
- The Other Room: Located in historic Haymarket Square, The Other Room is a speakeasy inside The Tavern on the Square. Bring out your inner flapper by visiting this hidden bar.
- Starlite Lounge: This cocktail bar embraces a retro vibe, offering visitors a swinging good time.
- Alchemy Aqua Vitae: Looking for a truly unique experience? This bar feels like stepping into a different world. Sip on one of their hand-made cocktails and enjoy the mysterious vibe.
- Single-Barrel: This bar offers the best of the best in terms of steak and whiskey. With over 200 options from around the world, this is a whiskey fan’s dream come true.
Cool Coffee Shops in Lincoln
Looking for some different types of brews? The variety of cool local coffee shops will ensure you stay energized to take in all the attractions. Here’s where we go for our java-fix:
- Crescent Moon Coffee: You’ll come for the single-origin and locally roasted coffees and stay for the other delicious offerings on their menu. This shop offers an artsy vibe and supports local artists and musicians in Lincoln.
- Mo Java Coffee: New in town? Mo Java will become your home away from home. Known for its friendly atmosphere, this coffee shop is also known for its high-quality coffee. You’ll feel like you’re in Europe as you indulge in your favorites.
- The Coffee House: Comfortable. Eclectic. Quiet. If you’re looking for a cozy spot to caffeinate, you’re in luck. Stop by The Coffee House and enjoy.
- The Mill Coffee and Tea: Known for roasting its coffee on-site, this shop also offers a selection of fine teas.
- Meadowlark Coffee & Espresso: In the mood to save the planet while enjoying a high-quality cup of joe? Meadowlark specializes in sustainability. They serve all organic, fair trade, and shade-grown coffee.
Shopping in Lincoln
For those of you who consider yourselves shopaholics, Lincoln will not disappoint. The city contains many staples in addition to an assortment of locally owned bookstores, antique stores, cycle shops, and malls.
One of our favorites? A Novel Idea Bookstore. This local bookshop offers two floors of books, which means you’ll spend hours pouring over the shelves in pursuit of your next favorite read. As a bonus, the shop supports local charities and even hosts authors for readings of new releases.
One benefit of living in a large city is the access to several different types of shopping experiences. In addition to a handful of large malls with brand-name stores, Lincoln also offers a wide selection of antique malls and shops. So whether you’re looking for something modern or vintage, Lincoln’s shopping malls have something for even the most frugal of shoppers.
While you’re in the shopping mood, consider supporting the plethora of minority-owned businesses Lincoln offers as well!
Consider Making Lincoln Your Home
There’s a lot to love about living in Lincoln, Nebraska. With low crime rates, excellent public schools, and a lot of things to do, it’s no wonder people who live here are excited to call this midwestern city home. While you may never have considered this state as a potential home, the great city offers all the opportunities of a big city with that small-town charm. It’s a rare gem, excellent for those looking to make their next big move.